Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Bonaire July 2012 Day 5

Tuesday, July 3, 2012


Eric and I slept in until about 7 o’clock and Jody got up about 6 a.m. or so. After everyone was up we all had some breakfast and finalized our plan for today. For our first dive we decided to head up North to the dive site called the Cliff, which is at Dive Friends Hamlet location. We had been told that there was a frog fish at this dive site that we could get very good directions to find.


So we loaded up the car and headed in that direction. This time we only got out of the parking lot before we remembered Jody’s weights, so we just made a U-turn to come back and get them. Then we got to the dive site and I remembered I had forgotten my long sleeve rash guard top. So I dove sleeveless today.


We got directions from the staff at the Hamlet Dive shop and headed out in search of the frog fish. We made a beeline for the area where the frog fish was supposedly located and actually were able to find it. I got some video of it, which no one will probably be able to figure out because frog fish sit perfectly still. Eric hopefully got some good pictures of it. As I was trying to get some video of it I accidentally bumped a small bit of fire coral on my wrist. So now I have experienced fire coral for the first time. You definitely know when you have hit something, but it was not terribly painful. After a short bit it was like nothing had even happened. However, it is not something I would want to do repeatedly.


We also saw a really friendly turtle on this dive and this time my video camera was working, unlike the first day. I got some really good video of the turtle going to town munching on some algae. I also got some good footage of a couple midnight parrotfish and a very large barracuda. That dive lasted a little over an hour and everyone really enjoyed that location. This location is probably one of the few in Bonaire that actually has a small wall.


We got out and rinsed all our gear off and got eight new tanks and then we all got some sodas and sat in the shade and chatted with the lady working at the Hamlet. Then we all loaded back in the van and headed down the road to our next diving destination, Oil Slick Leap.


Tim decided he wanted to do a giant stride off the cliff edge into the water at Oil Slick Leap and Jody decided she wanted to try it too, so I videotaped all three of them doing a giant stride into the water. Then I got in and we started our dive. We saw a couple schools of blue tang, gray angelfish, arrow crabs, a spotted drum, and another very large midnight blue parrotfish just to name a few things.


After that dive we were all pretty hungry so we loaded up the car and headed back to the hotel to rinse off and get a bite to eat. We still had pizza left over so we had pizza and snacked on whatever we could find lying around and then watched some of my video from today to see what kind of footage I had gotten. After that Tim and Eric decided they were going to do another dive off the pier here at the hotel to see if they could find the octopus Tim had spotted on the night dive last night.


Tim wanted to do a giant stride off the end of the pier and Eric told him he would do it too, so I went down and videotaped them both doing their giant stride into the water. The large resident iguana that hangs around here was down on the pier sunning himself, so of course I had to get some video of him too. Jody has named him Henry Jones, III.


Tim and Eric had a good dive. They saw the octopus again and a very large flounder, a super-size barracuda, and some fire worms, etc. As they came back in from their dive I got some video of them coming up the ladder. I also got some footage of the KLM flight coming in for a landing.


After they both got cleaned up we were all hungry so we decided to head downtown for dinner to another one of the restaurants we really like, El Mundo. We sat outside and enjoyed the full moon and the beautiful Bonaire breeze. Jody and I had the crab salad sandwich, Tim had the tuna salad sandwich, and Eric had the chicken satay in peanut sauce. The food there is really fresh and they make everything from scratch, even their bread. Everything tasted sooooo good.


After dinner we walked down the street to the Gelato shop and we all had some super good gelato. Then we walked back to the car and drove back to the hotel. Tim was pretty tired so he headed to bed and Eric and Jody and I played a couple rounds of Uno. Of course I won...Jody said she was just tired or she would have smeared my ass...

No comments:

Post a Comment